- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Cookie sheet
- Ice cream scoops
- Round cookie cutters
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks salted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips (plus more for rolling)
1 tub of vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- Cream together the butter, shortening & sugars for 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mix until it’s well incorporated.
- Next add the flour and baking soda, mix until halfway incorporated (there should still be some flour visible). Add the mini chocolate chips and continue mixing until no streaks of flour is left.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Place 6 cookies on a baking sheet (about 2 tablespoons of dough).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes making sure they are slightly underbaked. Let cool on the pan until ready to sandwich with the ice cream.
- Add more mini chocolate chips to a bowl and set aside.
- Place one scoop of ice cream on the back of one cookie and place another cookie on top. For a clean look use a circular cookie cutter the same size of your cookie to add the ice cream(refer to video).
- Roll your ice cream sandwich in the mini chocolate chips and quickly wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- Freeze the sandwich for at least 6 hours or overnight.