1 9” pie crust 8 sweet tango apples
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg(optional)
Juice of 1 orange or 1/3 cup of water
Zest of 1 orange or 1 tablespoon(optional)
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon(optional)
1/2 cup salted butter(melted)
Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (200°C).
1. Begin by peeling, coring, and slicing the 8 sweet tango apples.
2. In a large bowl, combine the apple slices with 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (optional). Allow the apples to macerate in this mixture for an hour.
3. After an hour, separate the liquid from the macerated apples. In a saucepan, combine the liquid with 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, the juice of 1 orange (or 1/3 cup water), and the zest of 1 orange (or 1 tbsp). Cook this mixture over medium heat until it thickens, then set it aside.
4. Preheat your oven to the desired temperature for baking the pie.
5. Mix the macerated apples with the thickened liquid until Coated and pour into your prepared pie crust.
6. In a separate bowl, prepare the crumb topping by combining 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional). Stir in 1/2 cup melted salted butter until crumbly.
7. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the apples.
8. Bake the Dutch apple pie in the preheated oven for 55-65 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy your delicious Dutch apple pie!